I am usually not hyper-aware about these kinds of things but up until now, the only X-rays I've had to get were periodic ones at my dentist. Naturally, I have started to wonder how harmful are X-rays? I am not an expert so by doing a quick internet search, I discovered that
- We are constantly exposed to radiation from the natural enviroment around us.
- Radon gas accounts for about half of our natural radiation exposure.
- Tests like CT Scans and MRIs have a higher dose of radiation than X-rays. A chest CT Scan gives off 70 times the amount of radiation as an X-ray. This is troubling to me because I also had both of these tests done since my diagnosis.
- Remove shoes before entering the home to avoid tracing in toxic chemicals such as pesticides
- Filter tap water
- Microwave food in ceramic or glass instead of plastic containers
- Check radon levels in and around your home.
- Use stainless steel, glass or BPA-free plastic water bottles.